Healthcare Providers After a Brain Injury?

After a brain injury, every person’s need and abilities are different. Many people will have a rehabilitation program programmed specifically for them. Rehabilitation programs often will involve many types of healthcare providers such as:

Counsellors: Counsellors help you solve problems and develop problem-solving skills by helping you clarify issues and explore your options.

Family Doctors: Family doctors are experts in diagnosing and treating the whole person. They care for patients in the office, the hospital, other health care facilities or the patient’s home.

Kinesiologist: A kinesiologist can help you find the best way to move your body, strengthen muscles, improve range of motion, reduce pain, and prevent further injuries.

Occupational Therapists: An occupational therapist focuses on improving the individual’s ability to perform activities of daily living

Physical Therapists: A physical therapist focuses on improving the individual’s ability to move their body

Physiotherapists: Physiotherapists use evidence informed knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology and physiology to assess, treat, and manage pain, injuries, movement dysfunctions and chronic conditions.

Psychologists: Psychologists study and help treat cognitive, emotional, and social processes and behaviours. They seek to understand and explain thoughts, emotions, feelings, and behaviour.

Social Workers: Social Workers make assessments and develop intervention plans to connect clients to resources; provide counselling and support services; mediate conflict; advocate for services; and strengthen clients’ capacity to successfully manage their problems.

Speech and Language Therapists: Speech and language therapists help individuals that may need help with pronouncing speech sounds, understanding and using spoken language, speaking smoothly and easily, reading and writing, eating, feeding, and swallowing.

Resources – Find a Healthcare Provider:


Registered Clinical Counsellors: BC Association of Clinical Counsellors

Canadian Certified Counsellors: Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association

Canadian Professional Counsellors: Canadian Professional Counsellors Association

Family Doctors:


Occupational Therapists:

Physical Therapists:



Social Workers:

Speech and Language Therapists: